Monday, November 29, 2010

Life is But once!!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. 

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Today I would love to share something that has been in my mind since a few months. Before I begin I would like to quote a verse from the Holy Qur’an. The Qur’an tells us the absoluteness of man’s nature:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjNl8_OQn_CmvR5wkqszucML-LurJw-v8N6bEOZM6XPJXzow_lyk9GSYRknokQa0e5cEKaRLaP-oPLjgy7L-ju-2bR6w8RGCVzu2YZ0cOIpHG_10lD-UcJ5-ByKYVeURsgjyFvqDP_NGN5z/s400/buff1-theres-only-one.jpg 

It is Allah Who created you in a state of weakness, then gave you strength after weakness, then after strength, gave you weakness and a hoary head: He creates what He wills, and He is the All-knowing, the All-powerful
 [Al-Qur’an 30:54] 

We all have seen men with hunched backs, gray hair, lost teeth and finding it difficult to walk. A man who has reached his old age; if not a lot has some difficulty in doing a lot of things which He used to do with ease and comfort in his days of youth. He finds it wearisome praying, fasting, eating and drinking.  Ask any aged person and he would tell you that those yesteryears feel just like yesterday. 50 years, 60 years, 70 years or 80 years just flew by. He too as young men do, walked, played and entertained himself.
One may think it happens to everybody! So what is the big deal about it?? The big deal is,
God almighty has given us Humans free will. It is by our will we choose good or bad for ourselves. But is it by our will that we come into this world? Is it by our own authority that we can call upon life or death?
The answer is an emphatic No!! Life is but once!
After a person has become old and weak, afflicted with many ailments it is not possible in the least bit for him to revive the past. And if He has spent or wasted his life in vain play and worthless actions, He cries over the time that has gone by, the strength which has departed him.

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said :

“There are two bounties which people do not
give their due thanks (do not utilize properly): health and spare time (leisure)”.

Every new day, every hour, every minute is an Amaanaah (Amaanat). It is a valuable gift from God almighty which is given to us so that we may bank upon and make the most out of it. This man who has not utilized his days of youth in obedience of Allah swt continues to live a life of disappointment and regret. He wants to pray but does not have the strength to worship Allah due to his weakness and old age and finds it difficult to prostrate or even bend in front of his lord. He wishes to fast, but cannot.

We all have heard many when they say- ‘I will do so and so when I grow up.’  “I just want to enjoy my youth right now”
And most of them quote “ Abhi toh zindagi padi hain, kar lenge baad mein” 
I want to ask a simple question to all-
Who can guarantee that you will live until then? Until tomorrow?
I am sure you all know that death comes but suddenly and no one is spared.

The holy Qur’an says-
Every soul shall have a taste of death; In the end to Us shall you be brought back. [Al-Qur’an 29:57]  

Many generations before us that existed have perished. Some repented before time and some didn’t even get a chance to.

Why do you remain heedless and delay repentance when you know that death comes out of the blue,

 “And turn to Allaah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you may succeed.” [Al Qur'an 24: 31].

Friends! What assurance do you have that when you do reach 50, 60, 70 or even 80 you will still have your strength and ability to do all good charitable deeds in the best fashion, as you claim? Or do you even know if you would be fortunate enough to live that long?
God almighty has given us this life so that he may test which one of us is better in deeds. He also gives us the privilege of repenting at any moment we wish. Indeed He is most Merciful and most compassionate!

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said, while advising a man,

 “Take advantage of five things before five other things occur; your youth before you become old, your health before you become sick, your wealth before you become poor, your spare time before you become busy, and your life before death”

Let me make this absolutely clear that
Fulfilling our wishes and enjoying life is not wrong and neither to have fun. We should all enjoy, have fun but there should be certain limits for enjoyment in order to prevent ourselves from becoming enslaved by our desires.

Lastly I would like to elaborate; why am I sharing my thoughts on this topic.

 This incident took place when I was offering prayers in the Mosque. After the obligatory prayers I usually look around and feel good looking at people of all ages making Du’as and beseeching God Almighty. An old person was offering prayers right next to me. He was gradual in his movements; bending forth and prostrating were a task for him. But for the love of God, he was there. I cannot quite figure out why I couldn’t take my eyes of him. I was wondering at him and at myself, knowing that I am also going to be like him someday. Old and feeble!!

 By God’s grace he was in a condition to pray. My eyes had gone moist by now. I joined my hands and prayed to God asking Him to let me serve Him till my Last breath and the best would be when death becomes me while I am at sajda(prostration). I thanked God for all the mercies and blessings He has bestowed upon me and all. We can walk, talk, do everything that a normal person can but we do not value these gifts.
   I think we spoke for long enough, so why don’t we start acting? I agree that it is difficult at first, like it was for me few years back but remember the saying of the Prophet (pbuh)

 There are two bounties which people do not give their due thanks (do not utilize properly): health and spare time

We are in the age of strength and health, and have a lot of time to utilize, so let us make the most of this time by using it to do what brings us closer to God and benefits you in the Hereafter?

Let us remember,

That this life is an Amaanaah(Amaanat), and it is only once!

Let us know our Lord, our God and follow His commandments.

Let us be at our best with our parents.

Let us be good to our neighbors.

Let us do charity if not with wealth but at least with a good word.

And let us all repent for all the wrong we have done and pledge to do good henceforth.

Ameen.


1 comment: